Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 01:34:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Teslik <teslik@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ps proc size mismatch - whah whah

Hello List,

   I screwed up. I'm trying to upgrade from 3.2-REL to 4.2-REL and its killing
me. I didn't backup before I tried (Big Fat Idiot) :(
   Basically, I have all the source for 4.2 in /usr/src, but somehow (I think
it was sysinstall/Update) blasted everything in my /bin with 4.2 binaries,
including ps. Originally I could not boot after this happened. I kept getting
pid errors and fsck would not run due to them. When I tried to go to single
user, sh was issuing pid errors too. I assumed ps was hosed. I couldn't mount
anything (or even get to a shell) because everything failed and issued pid
errors.
   Using the fixit disk for 3.2 and replacing everything in bin from the fixit
disk (are these all statically linked binaries?) I am now able to boot to
single user mode, but I can only mount /, so I can't get to any of the source
in /usr/src. I'm still getting pid errors all the time and have VERY limited
use of the shell. I ran ps and it issued a proc mismatch. Thanks to Greg L. I
know that ps is not matching my kernel and I am assuming this is my problem,
but without /usr/src or ftp I am almost sunk. I still have floppy capability
through the fixit disk.
    The question is two-fold:
    Can I download a binary of ps from 3.2-RELEASE and put it in my bin and
will it work? Does it need to be statically linked (I'm pretty sure I still
have 3.2R libraries in /usr/lib - if I could mount it)?
    Where can I find a binary of ps that I can download? I can only find the
entire binary dist, which is 26Megs for 3.2-REL and I only have 2Megs left in
my / directory.
    Sorry for the long email.

Alex Teslik
<teslik@yahoo.com>