Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:44:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Aironet, Ethereal and raw 802.11 frames

> If you are using the "stock" FreeBSD "an" driver, that would account for
> the problem(s) you're seeing.  The driver needs some patches in order to
> use what is called "monitor mode" (where raw 802.11 frames can be made
> available via bpf).  (If you've applied the patches, you need to use
> "ancontrol -M" to set the monitor mode.)
>
> Doug Ambrisko's patches to do this may be found at
> http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/an/.  However, they are based on a -STABLE
> that is a few weeks old, and some of the patches may not apply cleanly.

Ah ha!  That does indeed explain it.  I just now tried Doug's patches and
they did not all apply cleanly, so if you could generate a patchset based
on today's -STABLE, I'll cvsup and apply those patches.

Are there plans to integrate these changes into -CURRENT or -STABLE at
some point?

Many thanks.

Ben