Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:59:52 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "Brandon Bernier" <BrandonB@4-Serv.com>
Cc:        spadger@best.com, ports@FreeBSD.org, jchris@users.sourceforge.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: tkdesk-1.2_1

--==_Exmh_806223280P

Hi Brandon,

> Please tell me that you or someone else still maintains this program,

I'm the port maintainer, it still builds/works with FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE
(and should work for -CURRENT also). I was in contact with the current
maintainer some time ago, and he was considering putting out another
release at some point.

> I am yet to find a better lightweight file manger,

Hmm, I like the OpenStep/NextStep style stuff as well, because I run
WindowMaker.

> I cant get it to work
> with SuSE 8.1 or Redhat 8.0,

You'll probably find that these distros only ship with a recent version
of Tcl/TK which would be a problem, as the original TkDesk was written
for Tcl/Tk 8.0 (but worked with 8.1, 8.2, IIRC).

The FreeBSD port includes a number of patches to TkDesk itself that make
it work with more recent versions of Tcl/TK (we build against 8.3.4), as
well as itcl, BLT and friends. I did this because TkDesk was the only
Tcl/Tk app I ran that wouldn't build against 8.3.4, and I got fed up
with dragging around multiple Tcl/Tk versions...

However, I can't claim credit for these patches, I found them on the
TkDesk mailing list and incorporated them into the port. :-)

> however since we are migrating to FreeBSD I
> will try it again and I can only hope. Thanks for such a great
> program!!!

I like it, but I think the bulk of your thanks should be due to the
people who did the bulk of the work, which would be Christian Bolik, the
original author, and the current maintainer, J. Chris Coppick.

The port could benefit from some more FreeBSD-isms in the menus, rather
than the Linux-specific stuff there, so feel free to submit
patches/improvements to improve the port for everyone.

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_806223280P

--==_Exmh_806223280P--