Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:55:46 +0200
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        neal@nelson.name
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPSec on a wireless AP

Neal Nelson wrote:
> I'm trying to set up IPSec between my access point (FreeBSD with
> wireless in HostAP mode) and laptop.
>
> I'm using transport mode and things work OK between the laptop and AP.
> All is encrypted and working OK. When I ping another node on my network,
> everything is in the clear (I'm using tcpdump on the wireless interface).
>
> I assumed that since my AP is my gateway for my laptop, all packets
> would obviously have to be sent there first and therefore encrypted.
> This does not seem to be so.
>
> Does anyone know how I can encrypt all data between my laptop and AP
> using IPSec?

Hi Neal,

examine the routes on your laptop. I had the same problem the oter day. Since my
IPsec gateway was on the same subnet as my laptop, there was not only the route

0.0.0.0 -> x.x.x.gateway

but also a route to

x.x.x.0 -> <local interface>

so every packet on a machine on x.x.x.0 other than the gateway was sent directly
and thus in cleartext.

HTH

Heinrich

--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341