Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 96 23:56:05 SAT
From:      tnaggs@cddotdot.mikom.csir.co.za (Anthony Naggs)
To:        marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY (fwd)

I don't recall seeing the original posting, anyway ...

> > Oi!  Anyone out there with a non-LBA PC with an IDE disk bigger than 500M,
> > using something other than Disk Manager, speak up!  We need info from you
> > about it!
>
> 300 Megs of DOS, rest for FreeBSD NFS client.
>
> Somehow, I don't think you had this kind of response in mind :)

For DOS machines there seem to be two products in use.  The first being
Disk Manager, which can either:
1.	be loaded as a DOS device driver from a smaller boot partition,
	and provides access to the rest of the disk as Disk Manager
	partitions, (like the earlier version that overcame the 32Mb per
	hard drive limitation).
2.	Loads from the MBR, installs itself in memory in the Int 13h chain
	and handles the LBA addressing "transparently".  Confusion comes
	from the requirement to set a small hard drive size in the CMOS
	setup.  (Currently shipped on Maxtor IDE hard drives >504Mb.)

[I prefer the first option myself, as I normally partition my DOS disks
anyway and it gives me control.]

The other product is Micro House's EZ-Drive, which does much the same thing
but only works in the second mode described above.  (Currently shipped on
Seagate drives >504Mb.)

--
Anthony Naggs	- Computer Security & Anti-Virus Engineer, CSIR, South Africa
Disclaimer: these are my personal views and opinions, and do not represent