Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 19:16:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        arlankfo@141.com (Andrew Lankford)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Making my login class capabilities database work right on 2.2.5

Redirected to freebsd-questions rather than freebsd-newbies.

Andrew Lankford wrote,
> Two problems have been a minor source of irritation to me while I've used
> 2.2.2 and 2.2.5.
>  First, I haven't been able to get the class capabilities
> database to work.  I was alerted to this problem when I first logged on to the
> console:
> Feb  6 13:15:56 bogushost login: couldn't resolve 'tc=' reference in 'login_getclass'
>
> Since then, I've tried restoring the login.conf file to the "out of box" version,  I've looked for incorrect syntax, and I've tried "tweaking" it in order
> to rid the file of "tc=" references.
> Going by the man page documentation, I couldn't find any problems with
>  login.conf, so I tried rebuilding "login" and then as much of /usr/libexec as
>  I knew how.  No success, although I could have overlooked something.
>   Does anyone know precisely what the binaries are that I need to rebuild
> in order to make my system read login.conf without any complaints, or is/was
> there a patch available?

Ummm, why are you rebuilding binaries? When you change 'login.conf,'
use the command 'cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf' to rebuild the datbase. If
login reports trouble, could you forward the 'login.conf' to the list?

> I'm also wondering whether anyone out there using xdm has gotten "sessreg"
> to work right, that is, does your X session show up in "who"?  I'm not very
> literate in C, but I think the source code for "sessreg" says that *BSD
> OS's can't use DISPLAY values like ":0" in "utmp".  Perhaps this is a question
> that should be directed at the XFree86 folks, but  there have been a few
> other usenet gripes about it.

Sorry, never have tried to use 'sessreg.' How were your xdm files
configuration files using it?

> Thanks in advance for the input...
>

> Andrew Lankford

BTW, Andrew, I am not sure what MUA you are using, but a lot of your
lines were greater than 80 columns in length making it hard to read.