Date:      Sun, 02 Aug 1998 13:10:58 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        Questions=answers <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Reading *.ascii.gz: any trick?

On Sat, Aug 01, 1998 at 09:50:59AM -0400, Spidey wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've got a stupid question. I just scan through the /usr/share/doc/ and I
> found some interesting papers that I would like to read. However they're
> disposed as:
>
> 01.setup/               06.nfs/                 11.timedop/
> 02.config/              07.lpd/                 12.timed/
> 03.fsck/                08.sendmailop/          18.net/
> 04.quotas/              09.sendmail/            Title.ascii.gz
> 05.fastfs/              10.named/               contents.ascii.gz
>
> I *know* that I can do 'gunzip -c | more' to read them directly, but isn't
> this format readable by something else? (i.e. info?)
>
> Any tips or suggestions welcome!
>
> Spidey

You can configure less(1) to apply an abritrary filter to an input
file.  The filename is passed as a parameter to the filter, so you
could write a case statement which applies different filters (ie:
gunzip, tar, zipinfo, etc) based on filename extension.  You could
even use file(1) to identify files without relying on the extension
for clues.  less is available as a port.

However, I like the explicitness of zmore(1).  Filename extensions
aren't universal, and sometimes I really want to see the raw data.

Aaron