Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 14:11:14 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "ken keeler" <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
Subject:   Re: cannot connect on LAN

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:01:43 -0800, ken keeler wrote:

>fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>        ether 00:a0:c9:90:78:09
>        media: autoselect

Someone else may give you an authoritive answer, but I've noticed on
this list that some of the ethernet drivers and/or cards don't
autoselect properly.  You should have a diskette that came with the
card that allows you to change the board's config.  Set the "port"
manually, i.e., one of aui/utp/bnc. And then use the appropriate
ifconfig media option in /etc/rc.conf. See man fxp for that.

HTH

>I feel like I've missed some detail(s), but don't know what it is. Having tried a couple of
>different cards in each machine and getting the same results, I'm inclined to believe I've
>overlooked something, rather than having bad cards (although all the network cards are used). The
>cable is known to be good.

Steve Friedrich
Viva la FreeBSD!!
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.