Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:01:34 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Matt Bettinger <mattb@finsyn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel compile problems

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 08:45:22AM -0500, Matt Bettinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> System:
>
> dell dimension xps 750
> nvidia riva tnt2 32 meg AGP 4 video
> ensoniq 1371 chipset sound card
> GENERIC kernel
> 4.1 Realease via purchased CD's.
> 20 gig HDD dangerously dedicated to FreeBSD ;-o
>
> Last night i  followed the  procedure to the T in Greg's book on compiling a
> kernel to support my sound card.
>
> The only thing i changed from the GENERIC kernel was the name of the kernel
> itself and  added options pcm  for my sound card. Everything else was left
> untouched with the exception of ident where i changed GENERIC to the name of
> my new kernel.
>
> i did a make  make install and rebooted and tried to load up this new kernel
> so i can get a little sound going.
>
> the kernel doesn't boot up.  it stops and says something about  the CPU not
> being specified.
>
> this has happened to me numerous times.  This time i am going to have to
> reinstall EVERYTHING since i 'forgot' to cp kernel.old and the working one
> has now been overwritten by a broken kernel.
>
> what do i need to do  to specify CPU type?
> machine "i386"
> cpu "I586_CPU"
> ident <new kernel name>

Firstly the double-quotes around numbers is no longer required (I
don't think it causes any problems if you still use them, but I'm not
sure).

As a failsafe way to make it work leave all these in your initial
kernel:

	machine		i386
	cpu		I386_CPU
	cpu		I486_CPU
	cpu		I586_CPU
	cpu		I686_CPU

Then look at the boot messages to determine which one is the correct
one for your machine:

# dmesg | grep ^CPU
CPU: AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions (233.86-MHz 586-class CPU)

You can then comment out all the other ``cpu'' lines.

HTH

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie