Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 23:41:52 +0100
From:      "BSDman" <usebsd@free.fr>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Why use a Firewall?

> Pierre Chiu wrote:
>
> I don't think firewall can stop spoofed ip.
> It can stop non-routable ip like (192.168.1.1), but if your ip is
> 24.112.1.1 and you spoofed it as 24.118.1.1, I doubt firewall
> can detect it.

> Mark Newton wrote:

> Of course a firewall can do that.

A firewall cannot protect against IP spoofing in the general sense.
It can stop external packets using internal addresses, but it cannot
detect that an external packet has spoofed an external address.
It think that's what Pierre was meaning.

To say it simply, a firewall divides the world into two regions:
a private one and a public one, and helps in controlling traffic between
these
regions (using many interfaces, one can have many regions, but let's stay
simple...).

If your site is very security sensitive, you'll have to assume that all the
external world
is hostile and full of intruders. So, you'll have to configure your firewall
to reject any
connections requested by an outsider (you'll have to permit responses to
your packets!).

Even if you don't have a similar policy, you'll have to admit that you
cannot really distinguish
(from a security policy point of view) two external addresses unless you use
some specific protection
(IPSEC, SSL, ...). so you can't say, my web server is available for
everybody except from a given address.

Note also that firewalls cannot protect against "hard" attacks such as
hijacking, so authentication by itself does
not help.

Anyway, a firewall is necessary for almost all networks connected to a
"untrusted" network (such as the internet).
Its objectves are:
- "physically" separate the trusted and the untrusted networks
- centralize access control

A generally admitted objective is that a firewall is configured securely and
runs a secure environment (OS, soft...)
which is not the case of all internal hosts. One can however think of a
theoritical network which all hosts
implement firewalling software and are configured correctly (from a security
and network points of view).
Then, there is no need for a firwall (in theory). but who will bother to
check all that configurations?
That's where a firewall is good: put all your eggs in one basket and watch
that basket carefully!

mouss