Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:06:01 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Vinum Error - No space left on drive

I'm sure the answer to my question is on the Net somewhere but after a
day and a half of searching, I've decided to plea for help.  :)

The error I get when I attempt to create the volume is:

vinum -> create ftp_vinum.conf
   4:     sd length 76319m drive ftp1
** 4 No space for  on ftp1: No space left on device

The disk, volume, and plex are created but the subdisk is not:

D ftp1                  State: up       Device /dev/ad1s1h      Avail:
152637/76319 MB(200%)

V ftp                   State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:
0  B

P ftp.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     0 Size:
0  B

Then steps I've taken and my config file, fdisk output, and disklabel
are contained in the following narrative.  I just wanted to put the
error up front for those browsing the list.

I have an 80G IDE drive (ad1) that I wish to use for a vinum volume.
I have read the example at http://www.freebsddiary.org/vinum.php.  It
tells me that the first step is to determine the size of my drive by
using fdisk.

blacklamb# fdisk ad1
******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=30629 heads=81 sectors/track=63 (5103 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=30629 heads=81 sectors/track=63 (5103 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 0, size 156301488 (76319 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 0/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ head 80/ sector 63

IIUC, this tells me that the disk size is 76319 M.

Next I used disklabel -e to create the vinum partition.

blacklamb# disklabel ad1
# /dev/ad1c:

[...irrelevant portion removed...]

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 156301488        0    unused        0     0        # (Cyl.    0 -
9729*)
  h: 156301488        0     vinum                       # (Cyl.    0 -
9729*)

Then I created my configuration file:

blacklamb# cat ftp_vinum.conf
drive ftp1 device /dev/ad1s1h
volume ftp
  plex org concat
    sd length 76319m drive ftp1

When I issue the create command, I get the error I described at the
top of this message.  So I guess my question is, "How do I determine
the correct size of my drive?".  I wish to use the entire drive.

Please let me know if I'm missing information.  Nudges to appropriate
web pages appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew