Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:26:48 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Brent Kearney" <brent@kearneys.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: proper way to upgrade a port

> I could 'make deinstall' in the old port, before using cvsup to update
> my ports.  However, although I can do this for one port, I'm not going
> to do it for every installed port, every time I update the collection.
> So some will get left out.
>
> If I just cvsup my ports, and make install, then will there be
> leftover binaries from the old version kicking around on my server?
> Will the pkg database be accurate?

If you cvsup and then 'make install' for ports that are already installed,
you may get parts and pieces of older versions kicking around on your
server.

Since the package database identifies products by their name and version,
you can use pkg_delete to remove the old version, then do 'make install' to
install the new version.  (Do NOT do a pkg_delete after you've installed the
new version, since it may remove identically-named files from the new
version.)

--
Matt Emmerton