Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 00:45:00 -0400
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        troy@circle.net, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable vs. ISDN

In lists.freebsd.hardware you write:

>Know of any machine that can handle destination-based encryption on
>the fly, fast enough to support 10MB/s?

>These are, I think, the real issues.  Sure, bidirectional cable
>is provably possible.  But the security of the technology is
>abominable.  And of course, the cable folks will probably screw it
>all up. So, take heart ISPs!  Just be ready to move quickly, who knows
>when your local cable company might want to buy their access thru you?
>Or consulting, too...  :)

Think people!  I have one of these things, its a filtering *bridge* I dont get
packets im not sposed to get, and thats how it works.  Now if I can spoof the
hardware and take it over then yes, I can snoop.  Okay on to encryption,
ever hear of SSH?!  Cripes, ssh is virtually transparent and fast as hell!

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich