Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:32:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Josh Franta <jfranta@ais.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   installing freebsd over ppp

This is my first time trying to install freebsd over dialup ppp.  I'm
having some problems establishing the connection to my isp using user ppp.
I've tried connecting to two different isps, both of whom accept pap for
user authentication.  Here are the commands I'm using once I enter ppp:

set authname userid
set authkey password
set timeout 0
set openmode active
accept pap
enable pap
term
atdt5555555
(after receiving a CONNECT string, I do a: tielde p to enter packet mode).

If I do a show proto, I can see lcp, pap and some other packets coming in
and going out.  I am always disconnected within 15 seconds of connecting.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing incorrectly?  I've looked in
the handbook, searched the mailing lists and I haven't found anything that
works for me.  Any help would be appreciated.

josh franta
jfranta@ais.net