Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 15:30:04 -0600
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        Jim Hodges <hajime@vnet.net>
Cc:        Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Free Unix Users of New Mexico <fuunm@data.netdot.net>
Subject:   Re: Trouble with kernel from FreeBSD-stable (2.2.6-beta?)

> On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Colin Eric Johnson wrote:

> > I'm using the same config file that I used with the 2.2.5-release source
> > and that kernel works just fine. When I build the kernel and boot I get
> > the following:
> >
> > the kernel is labeled: 2.2.6-beta #0
> >

> Rebuild the kernel before you reboot.

A bit late for that advice now.  But Mr. Johnson said he had built a kernel.
He didn't say that he rebuilt /sbin/mount.  Perhaps that's the problem.
Generally, 'make world' before you make and boot a new (upgraded, not just
reconfigured) kernel.

> > Once all of the devices have been found and checked this new kernel
> > attempts to change the device that root is on:
> >
> > changing root device to: wd0s2a
>
> I am unclear why this is wd0s2a instead of wd0s1a if the latter is really
> your root partition.

There has been a great deal of discussion on this list in the last few days
about this of-by-one error.  It boils down to:  a) the slice number is one
greater than it should be.  b) don't worry about it.  c) it will be fixed
soon, but it's not as easy as it might seem.

> > it then mounts swap and then begins the fsck. at this point it give the
> > following error
> >
> > /dev/wd0a on /: specified device does not match mounted device.
> >

> The compatability slice wd0a is going away and the code to mount root on
> the actual slice has been put in place.

> > Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/wd0a      180495    43910   122146    26%    /
> > /dev/wd1s1e   1205727   944425   164844    85%    /usr
> > /dev/wd0s1e    149279     4360   132977     3%    /var

This is the situation the new /sbin/mount can deal with but the old one can't.