Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:48:49 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Anton Angelo <anton@mojo.org>
Cc:        Sean Harding <sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies list [was: partition spanning multiple drives]

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 09:12:16AM +0000, Anton Angelo wrote:
> Sean Harding (sharding@ophelia.uoregon.edu) said:
>
> > On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Manoli Piperakis wrote:
> >
> > > Hear hear ! Excellently put. Couldn't agree with you more - on all
> > > points.
> >
> > I don't think newbies are used as a laughing stock (unless they are asking
> > if they can run FreeBSD on WebTV, in which case it is deserved). If the
> > volume bothers you, you don't have to subscribe. Send questions to
> > questions@freebsd.org. Subscription to the list not required.
>
> Weeeeelllll... about the unix on webtv jibe, some of the set top boxes it
> has been my misfortune to "assess" for my work have run QNX, and few
> others various flavours of micro kernel unix.  It makes sense really.
>
> I want to start a bit of a religious discussion comparing FreeBSD to
> Linux (specifically slackware).

Yaaaawwnn... OK :-) zzzzz

> My experience is limited, but I have run a slackware box for a couple of
> years, and have started tinkering with FreeBSD in the last 6 months.  I
> like the prefessional "feel" of FreeBSD, but the box does fall over for
> no reason that I. with only half a clue or less, cannot understand.  My
> linux box however stood up for 150 days on a 386 with 4Meg RAM handling
> loadsaemail and even ran tin.  ( a feat in itself in 4Meg :)

That's interesting. I had a 3 month break and ran RedHat. Compared to
FreeBSD it felt very polished, everything you might need was where you could
get at it, pretty little things popping up everywhere, sensible defaults set
for a whole lot of software that I wasn't cluey enough to know I needed but
the installation put it there.

But let's get this into perspective. At that time I wasn't doing much more
than installing, playing tetris, and trying to read man pages I couldn't
understand. As soon as I started venturing into things a bit, the tinsel
fell off and I was left sifting through a large collection of documents that
seemed to have been written by people just like me.

By comparison, everything in FreeBSD either worked or didn't work (depending
on how well I understood the manual). Nothing kinda-worked.

> It collapsed when the uptime figure got too large (well, that was the
> only reason I could work out...)
>
> So it seems to me that Slackware was "more stable" than FreeBSD.

I could say similar things about an old win3.1 box that used to sit in the
corner and answer the phone. But I'd never recommend win3.1 :-)

> <asbestos_undies=on>
>
> Nonetheless I'm moving my personal unix boxen to FreeBSD (apart
> from the 386 which I was thinking about seeing if I could get the source
> for minix for for a laugh) because its far easier to maintain - you have
> to love that ports collection.

You'd be astounded to see what FreeBSD can do with a 386 and 8 megs of RAM.

> Speaking of which - can anyone recommend a free IMAP4 server for
> FreeBSD?  Also is Qmail in the ports collection, I'm not smart enough to
> admin sendmail and I refuse to learn M4 just to build a config file!

I like sendmail because for me it's the easiest. Install FreeBSD and there
it is, all ready to go. Pull its config into the editor, change a couple of
lines, (try not to let anyone notice the book that tells you which lines
to change) and away she goes! Anything else would be much too hard for me.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more