Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:24:00 +0100
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        "Eric De La Cruz Lugo" <eric@iteso.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: curiosity

On Thursday 25 January 2001 17:06, you wrote:
> Dan: You should check that (Linux its an acronym Linux Its Not UniX) and a
> very recursive one like GNU (Gnu its Not Unix)

Sorry but I think you're wrong. Linus was using MINIX at his university, got
unhappy with it not running on his i386 hardware and started to make his own
version of it. That started Linux. The original aim was not "a unix" but "a
minix for i386". So he made his own minix: Linux.

> Nah!, the last prhase its a Joke Ok?, he only wanted to make clear that his
> OS was "diferent from source" from the original Unix (TM), after all he was
> a student on that time.

He communicated on comp.os.minix. Look it up if you like, or ask him. Of
course I'm sure he was aware about the meaning of GNU because obviously he
had to use GNU software.

I think because of the acronym GNU people tend to think that Linux is also an
acronym. It is not, I believe. He also pronounces it as his name.

Greetings,

Dan