Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:21:08 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-RELEASE Feedback

Randall Hopper writes:

>      Generally good results, except for the reboot I just posted about...
> Here are a few problems I had and general comments.

This past week I put together a new system. Asus P2B-S MB (with SCSI),
128MB PC100 ECC, P-II 400. Two IBM DDRS 9G SCSI HD's. No IDE drives
other than an IDE ZIP (not detected by NT or FreeBSD, its on the 2nd IDE
bus, as a slave, with no master. Really need to fix that.)

My NT 4.0 SP1 CDROM didn't recognize the SCSI, not too suprised. Then
fed it the Asus/Adaptec driver disk. Installed drivers. Still didn't
find any HD's. Noticed the driver disk was version 3.01 while 3.02 was
at the Asus site. That didn't do any different.

However, the 3.2-RELEASE CDROM booted (via ATAPI CDROM) and was
perfectly happy to install. Let it do "make buildworlds" most all day
Friday. About 70 minutes per iteration, about 10 minutes to
"rm -rf /usr/obj/*; chflags -R noschg /usr/obj; rm -rf /usr/obj/*"
I find it faster to do it in the above order with the extra rm in
front. This way the chflags operation only has to walk the tree thru
the files that need chflag'ing.

Wrote a "compatible" partition table to the disks in sysinstall hoping
that would be the thing for NT to find the drives. Nope.

Its time to bother Asus and the MB vendor.