Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 23:02:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        keith@blueberry.co.uk (Keith Jones)
Cc:        andre@pipeline.ch, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Homedir 'hiding'

Keith Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 03:37:46PM +0200, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> > We give our customers at the moment only chrooted ftp access (ftpd
> > with internal LS) to their www-homedirs. Some users however ask for
> > telnet access.
> >
> > The problem we have is that if someone logs in that person can see
> > all homedirectories of other customers. The user with telnet access
> > has an own group but can still see the other homedirs but not enter
> > them (no permission of course).
> >
> > My question is now: what can I do that the telnet users cant see
> > the other homedirs (don't tell me 'rm -R *' ;-)).
> >
> > PS: I have tried to set the permissions to drwx------ but it is
> > still visible with ls.
>
> It depends on how your partitions are set up. /home is usually, but not
> always, a symlink to /usr/home. If this is so, use
>
> 	chmod 511 /usr/home
>
> If this is not so - for instance, if the /home tree is on its own partition -
> then you need to
>
> 	chmod 511 /home
>
> N.B. Some shells may complain about this. tcsh, for instance, will generate
> the following error on invocation:
>
> tcsh: Permission denied
> tcsh: Trying to start from "/home/<user>"
>
> [tcsh will still work, but the error is a bit annoying.]

It's not clear what Andre is trying to hide. If it's simply the names
of other user's homedirs, nothing that is done to /home/* will prevent
a telnet user from simply doing

	cat /etc/passwd

and recovering the information about users that is there -- including
home directory names.

Dave
--
http://www.microsoft.com/security: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most
                  secure network operating system available.'