Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 07:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      magudexter <magudexter@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating the system means recompiling the ports also?

Hello

I started using the cvsup system and I must say it's
pretty good. I had some problems with the cvsup(that
update.sh script) but finally it worked.

After the make buildworld & installworld and
buildkernel & installkernel I had to problems:

1. all the ports worked without a glich. Anyway do I
have to recompile them in order for the changes to
take place. For instance the bufferoverflows in
OpenSSL - the system doesn't have them anymore but
what about apache/php for example.
   I'm also watching the upgrade from a practical
point of view of a sysadmin: say a bug which involves
making world (such as the OpenSSL) appears and you
have a production server full of mysql and others
servers/ports.
  What do you guys do?

And one other problem - I found out that the kernel
optimized for my machine made using the 'new way'
(handbook quote):
is about 4Mb(bigger then the GENERIC one which has
more than 20 more options) while build using the 'old
way' (i.e. config/make depend/make/make install) is
far more little (1.8Mb).

I read in the manual that on a system without the cvs
sources the ONLY way to do this is by the 'old way'.
What's the catch? Why the 'new way' kernel is so much
bigger?

Thanks,
   Costin