Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:19:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Salisbury Andrew <Andrew.Salisbury@hygiene.sca.se>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time Stamp

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Salisbury Andrew wrote:

> There appears to be a UNIX time stamp in logs that are generated for us.
>
> Is there a utility to decipher what time this is, for example what time is
> 968284808.305 ?

This is the number of seconds.milliseconds since the "Unix Epoch",
which is Jan 1 00:00:00 1970 GMT.  The date(1) command will help you
here:

  bash-2.03$ date -r 968284808.305
  Thu Sep  7 02:00:08 CEST 2000
  bash-2.03$

(You'll get a different time in your time zone.)  There is probably
some "mandate" pun in here somewhere, but I'll leave that for others.

-Paul.