Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 22:32:30 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        Studded@dal.net (Studded), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade documentation (Was: Re: Make world error on -current elf)

John Birrell wrote:
> Studded wrote:
> > 	Several of us now have asked for detailed, step by step instructions on
> > how to upgrade to the most recent 3.0 and unless I've missed it, it
> > hasn't been posted yet. Personally I'd like instructions on coming from
> > -Stable, I'm sure others could use instructions on doing just the elf
> > bits, etc. A good place for these instructions would be the web page
> > somewhere the main site that we could point people too.
> >
> > 	I realize that y'all are busy making the new stuff happen, but you
> > can't expect people to do the upgrade and consequent beta-testing
> > without a pointer in the right direction. I'm hoping that the 3.0 branch
> > will soon actually settle down enough so that I can justify moving
> > forward bravely myself. :)
>
> OK, I've had a go at doing this. Have a look at http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
> and let me know if this was the sort of thing you were expecting. If so,
> we can put it on www.freebsd.org.

I am still not quite comfortable with the 3.0-CURRENT -> elf conversion
process.

The instructions there and the Makefile.upgrade rules push towards an
unneded recompile and reboot of a kernel in order to complete the process.

Any 3.0-CURRENT kernel from about July 1997 (over a year old) will run an
ELF world quite happily.  IMHO, defaulting to unecessarily replacing the
user's customized kernel with a generic one is bad karma.

Yes, one can press ctrl-C, but it's not obvious that something else isn't
going to be skipped as a result.  The message spells out threats and
implies that aborting at that point is going to be bad.  Obviously if
you're on a 2.2 system, that is true, but for a 10-September-1998 system
that cannot run GENERICupgrade, that's silly.

IMHO, this automated decision should be based on the kern.osreldate
sysctl.  If it's undefined or < 300001, then do the rebuild/reboot.
The patches to do this are low impact and low
risk.

Also, installing the kernel and doing an instant reboot would "feel"
better if it did a 'Building kernel; installing kernel; press return to
reboot, ctrl-C to abort; reboot' type sequence.  The reboot binary rescued
from the system doesn't run rc.shutdown.

On the other hand, I can understand John's desire to keep the number of
variables down in the elfification process, but in this particular
instance I feel the information given at least could be improved so the
user can make a more informed decision about accepting the advice of the
Makefile.upgrade process.

Cheers,
-Peter