Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 17:55:40 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Daniel" <dguevel@infovia.com.ar>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: size

I don't know about THAT, but if you are stuck you're probably not going to
point and click your way out, that's for sure.  :)

> Have you ever compared windows (definetively too much resources
> consuming),
> linux, FreeBeOS (i do not remember if tis one is open source, I
> guess not)
> to FreeBSD?

I wouldn't say that windows is any more of a resource hog than anything else
under some conditions. Win98 is not the most stable OS in the world, but I
have had good luck with it compared to win95 and win3.11  I have a lowly PII
350 with 160 megs of ram and an ATI Rage Fury MAXX video card and win98
flies right along while using a small percentage of my resources.  FreeBSD
4.0 thinks this system is pretty cool as well, although I haven't played
with any of the accelerated servers under X to see if my video card is
supported.  (I suspect it is not)

Meanwhile, my 486DX2-66 with 12 megs of ram is painful to use with either
win98 or FreeBSD 3.4.  Both OS's dig deep into swap just sitting there.

The point is this:  resource hog is a relative thing.  If you have lots of
resources, who cares if the OS eats em up?  That's what they are there for.
Let's face it.  The days of programmers having years to learn and massage
the last ounce of performance out of a hardware platform ie the commidore 64
are over.

Anyways....I like win98 for desktop stuff.  Easy to set up.  Easy to learn.
My wife doesn't have to ask me questions everytime she tries to use the
computer. All my odd hardware is supported.

I like Unix for server stuff....ie my router and DNS for my home network
along with my webserver all run on FreeBSD.  Linux is ok, but have you ever
tried to make a custom kernel under Linux?  Not to mention the documentation
for Linux...there's a lot of it, but so much of it is wrong.

What in the world is FreeBeos?

Josh