Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:28:28 +0200
From:      Pradesh Chanderpaul <p.chanderpaul@olsy.co.za>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ISSUE : Kernel configuration file from built kernel

Hi Doug

As I explained earlier, I performed the ffg sequence of events.

- I installed 2.2.7 WITHOUT the source code.
- I then installed the sys source code distribution.
- I then needed to change the kernel configuration for PPP, so I
  copied the KERNEL configuration file to CUSTOM.
- I made the necessary changes and made the CUSTOM kernel.
- I rebooted the machine and found that I couldn't telnet to it. So I
  worked at the workstation console itself. I found that for example
  if I typed 'ping localhost' or 'netstat xxxx' functions I iether got
  timeouts or long waits. ( I assumed then that the old kernel contained
  configuration details were not on the /sys/i386/CONFIG file [which
  I only installed after the original kernel was built :(  ]  ).
- I rebooted of /kernel.old and those problems seemd to go away.
- I searched for the ORIGINAL kernel file. The only one was the
  /sys/i386/KERNEL - but I suspect that was what caused the problems
  in the first place.
- There was a /kernel.config file but this was empty.

Now I need to make the PPP changes that I set out, but I need a config
file that reflected my configuration at installation time.

The changes that I made to the KERNEL file is:-
pseudo-device   tun     3
# 					   ^^^ changed from 1 to 3

Hope this helps.

Regards