Date:      30 Dec 2002 11:16:18 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <coop9211@uidaho.edu>
Cc:        des@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installed plugger for opera now Gnome sound events gone

Hi John,

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 07:09, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> I've added freebsd-ports as a CC since this discussion is of general
> interest.
>
> Stacey Roberts wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >     I installed plugger-4.0_1 tonight from ports. I am using FreeBSD,
> >uname:
> ># uname -a
> >FreeBSD <snip>.vickiandstacey.com 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #0: Fri
> >Nov 15 23:37:50 GMT 2002
> >root@<snip>.vickiandstacey.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<snip>  i386
> >#
> >
> >Window manager is Gnome-1.4
> >Opera Version:
> >Version
> >6.03
> >Build
> >219
> >Platform
> >Linux
> >System
> >i386, 2.4.2
> >

> Well, first and formost, the Linux version of Opera (and any Linux
> binary browser) is not going to be able to use a  FreeBSD-native binary
> plugin without some sort of wrapper, etc.  You CAN use www/plugger with
> the FreeBSD-native Opera that's recently been added to ports tree. :)
> This is sort of a FAQ--ordinarily, the binaries of both port and plugin
> MUST match.

Sorry, I didn't know about this detail.

> >After testing at http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger/test.html, all Gnome
> >desktop sound volume is now barely audible, including all button-click
> >sounds have gone in Evolution-1.2 completely.
> >

> First, www/plugger does not itself make ANY changes to the audio or
> video sub-systems of X,, GNOME, KDE, or FreeBSD.  By it's nature,
> www/plugger is just a wrapper for various audio, graphics, multimedia,
> text, and spreadsheet programs to displace web content.  It does just
> three things:  1) registers itself to the browser as a plugin; 2)
> identifies the capabilities of the various audio, graphics, multimedia,
> text, and spreadsheet programs to the browser; and 3) when the browser
> desires to display or play given web content (usually triggered by MIME
> info imbedded in the link or transmitted by the HTML server), plugger
> dispatches this request to the appropriate program in such a manner that
> the content is displayed as nearly as the author designed as practical
> (there still much work to do here).  So, any audio problem is likely
> caused by one of the display-or-play programs playing around with the
> sound sub-system.
>
> Second, since you are using a Linux-binary Opera, www/plugger was NOT
> doing hte dispatching since it's most unlikely to work given the binary
> mismatch.  However, Opera WILL dispatch audio content to some players
> and also has inherent ability to play some sound files (as well as play
> it's own sound events).
>
> Probably, if you load a mixer application, you'll be able to reset the
> audio sub-system.

Dunno for sure, but I'll see what I can do.

> >Could either of you let me know how I might reverse this please? Is
> >plugger supposed work? After installation, I could not locate plugger.so
> >anywhere on my system, so I'm no idea as to the success of the
> >installation.
> >

> Look at the pkg-plist for www/plugger.  You'll see an entry for
> npplugger.so.  The name was changed intentionally to comply with the
> Netscape Plugin Specification which calls for plugin names to begin with
> "np".  Earlier versions of Mozilla would not pick the plugin up.

Okay.., does that mean that you're suggest I rename the file to
plugger.so and copy to the opera plugins dir?

> >As such, repeated clicking of the "Find Plugins" button in Opera
> >preferences don't change a thing.
> >

> A permanently frustrating activity given that you're using a Linux
> version of Opera (and not even the latest one).  If you want to use
> plugger with a Linux browser, download the appropriate binary from the
> Plugger Home Page and install plugger.so in a directory that Linux Opera
> will see the plugin.  Note that display-or-play applications can be any
> mix of FreeBSD or Linux binaries so long as each individual application
> would run O.K. on FreeBSD independently.  :)

At the moment, I'm only looking to restore the sound back to what it
was. I'll kick plugger to the curb as soon as I can get things back to
normal.

--
Stacey Roberts
B.Sc (HONS) Computer Science