Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 03:14:56 +0800
From:      "Rafter Man" <rafter@linuxmail.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   The Hurd

Hi

About a month ago, I wrote this mailing-list asking if the FreeBSD developers had analysed and learned from the Solaris and Linux kernel. I got some good answers (thank you), but now I have one more question.
From the 27/12 too the 29/12 I was at the CCC congress and attended a lecture called "Unix Redesigned". It was Neal H Walfield who talked about The Hurd:
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd
So my question is: Will FreeBSD take a good look at the Hurd?
I know the last Hurd release was in 1997, but within this year a new release will be made.
I don't expect FreeBSD to rewrite the whole kernel, but just too use some of the things or make a combination. Fx now users can have more id's and deamons run as "null".
I know that this will take a lot of work, but I don't have the programming knowledge too make these changes myself, but when I am finished with my computer education I will financially support FreeBSD and ofcourse write some programs. Until then all I can do is make FreeBSD aware of other alternativs and thereby insuring that FreeBSD is in front (some of the hurds way of doing things are the way of the future, but overall FreeBSD is still better, but can learn a few thing from the hurd).

Best regards
Rafter

PS: If a more badly written version of this mail have already been send, then i apologize for that.