Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:20:38 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zp0 not receiving under 2.2.7?

> Mike Smith wrote:
> > > Anyone seen a condition where zp0 (3COM PC-Card, rev C) can send but not
> > > receive under 2.2.7?  Card/machine/etc work fine under Windows 95.  Card is
> > > seen at boot and dumps packets into network, does not see responses.
> >
> > Incorrect interrupt setting is the most likely cause.
> >
> > If this isn't for an install, you should be using the pccard support
> > and the 'ep' driver.
>
> No doubt I should use ep0 and in fact tried to do so.
>
> However, configuration failed under pccardd.  The error message reported by
> pccardd was not sufficient to debug the problem, and I don't have full source
> loaded on the target system.  Hence, I left off this chapter of the saga since
> I didn't feel like getting flamed for reporting the error message was
> incomplete.  As it is, however, the pccardd message doesn't tell me what the
> problem is.

No, but it can often tell us what's going on (most of the time).  There
are three messages you're likely to get:

 - "no driver found for ..." meaning your pccard.conf file entry is
    wrong.
 - "resource allocation failed for ..." meaning that the resource
   information in your pccard.conf file conflicts with the
   configuration entry you've selected from the card
 - "driver allocation failed for ..." meaning that the driver probe
   failed, or the kernel disagrees with you as to the resources that
   you've assigned to the card (ie. they're in use elsewhere).

> I presume zp0 should at least get the system on to my network.  I don't swap
> cards, really.

It *should* work, yes.  The lack of incoming packets does suggest an
interrupt problem of some sort though.