Date:      06 Sep 2002 15:44:05 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter broken in contrib?

Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee> writes:

> > I'm just upgrading a machine and I'm in the process of upgrading
> > ipfilter. I've done
> > cd /usr/src/contrib/ipfilter
> > make clean
> > make freebsd4
> > make install-bsd
>
> Excuse me if I'm overlooking something, but isn't ipfilter supposed to
> be upgraded as part of normal buildworld/installworld procedure?
>
> AFAIK it is dangerous to upgrade only some parts of your system and
> leave others "un-upgraded".

We did a cvsup on these systems yesterday. Doing make world followed
by make kernel and a reboot gives us

ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.29 (336)
Kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.27
Running: yes
Log Flags: 0 = none set
Default: pass all, Logging: available
Active list: 0

The new kernel has definitely been installed. The only way that we
could get the Kernel version up was to reinstall from contrib...

Ideas?

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    You know, it's simply not true that wars never