Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2008 08:26:53 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing KVM on amd64

--qZLIv6EoKi7YuaSc

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 06:59:35PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> You can download a patch from=20
> http://www.cs.rice.edu/~alc/amd64_kvm_6GB.patch that increases amd64's=20
> kernel virtual address space to 6GB.  This patch also increases the=20
> default for the kmem map to almost 2GB.  I believe that kernel loadable=
=20
> modules still work.  However, I suspect that mini-dumps are broken.
The amd64 modules text/data/bss virtual addresses are allocated from the=20
kernel_map (link_elf_obj.c, link_elf_load_file). Now, the lower end
of the kernel_map is top-6Gb.

Kernel code (both kernel proper and modules) is compiled for "kernel memory
model", according to the gcc info:
`-mcmodel=3Dkernel'
Generate code for the kernel code model.  The kernel runs in the
negative 2 GB of the address space.  This model has to be used for
Linux kernel code.

I suspect we have a problem there.

>=20
> I don't plan on committing this patch in its current form.  Some of the=
=20
> changes are done in a hackish way.  I am, however, curious to hear=20
> whether or not it works for you.
>=20
> Alan

--qZLIv6EoKi7YuaSc