Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2014 22:45:55 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuring base server system: lots of questions

--LoLS9Jx2xEs4jXLuL7tbXorJHdtcHM6Fw

On 16/03/2014 17:14, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
>> 3) I have 95 some odd updates with portmaster over the last two weeks.=

>> Is it viable somehow to just apply security patches? Is there a way to=

>> do that, until I have the time to sit down and apply all these updates=

>> individually?
>=20
> Use pkg(8). Unless all 95 have custom options, this will be far more
> efficient.

Unless, of course, the default options used in generating the FreeBSD
pkgs aren't suitable for the OPs use case.

If you can a ports tree that only gets security updates, then you can
try tracking the 2014Q1 branch.  That, is, after all, exactly what that
branch was intended to provide.  You can either check it out through SVN
and build you own, or use pre-compiled packages from pkg.freebsd.org --
or (and this tends to be easier if you're tracking 2014Q1) a mixture of
the two.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20