Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2000 14:57:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Jim Manley <jmanley@metronet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Zip Drive Weirdness

> I installed a parallel port zip drive on my 3.4-stable BSD box.  With the
> zip drive powered up and connected to the FBSD box, the FBSD box will
> not start (Turn on the power, the box doesn't boot).  I can hear the power
> supply start up but nothing else happens.
>
> If I power down the zip drive, the FBSD box fires up normally.

I have seen similar problems with both serial and parallel ports....  We
bought a set of 20 identical 486's a while back that would refuse to start
up if the external modem was turned on.  If you start the computer, THEN
turn on the modem, they'll run just fine until the next power cycle.

After lots of head-scratching, it turns out that there was a fair amount
of voltage feeding back into the power supply, and the cheap
"self-protection" circuitry in the PS was getting tricked into thinking
that the PS had failed.  We found two ways to fix this:

1)  Put some beefy diodes in series with the +5V lines coming off the
power supply...  Bad idea, but it proved where the problem was (sort of)
coming from...  You probably wouldn't want to run it this way normally.

or...

2)  Get a real power supply.  It's amazing how we'll spend $12000 on our
latest 1900MHz Quad-Xeon Super-Duper game machines, but trust them to a
$29 power supply that's about as well-designed as a Ford Pinto.

--mike