Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 23:37:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A few other concerns from a FreeBSD ISP

On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

> The rlogin problem is as you described it. I see it under all 2.X
> releases. It's been infrequent enough of a problem that I haven't
> bothered with a fix. It is annoying, though.

    *sigh*... any ideas what might constitute a fix?

> The NFS problem you see is specific to TCP mounts. Can you run UDP?

    How do I specify that?  The nfsd's on the server are started as
"nfsd -t -u 7", to accomodate both types of requests.  I don't see any
such option with mount or nfsiod on the client side.

> There are other problems with TCP mounts. If you restart mountd on the
> server the existing TCP connections are dropped, forcing you to go
> through a manual umount/mount cycle on the clients. I'm not clear on
> whether TCP mounts should restart automatically -- I can't find anything
> that specifies how TCP based mounts are supposed to act.
>
> If hanging NFS mounts are a problem you really should look at using
> amd. It's a bit of work to set up, but one running it at least gives
> a workaround for some of the NFS problems. Then again, I find that right
> now I cannot unmount and NFS FS that's gone stale, even with umount -f.

    I had that problem too.  The directory mount point doesn't show up
in an ls, mount says it isn't mounted, but df says it is.  :(
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.