Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:54:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inclusion of system headers.

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:

>  Question:
>
>    Are exists some reasons, for existing next situation:
>
> A.h refer to something, including in B.h, but A.h not include B.h .
>
> I think, this is design bug.
>
> In FreeBSD such situation, at least with <sys/uio.h> and <sys/types.h>,
> which breaks clear compiling of erlang  (which yesteday was releasing
> as open source with NPL-style license).
>
> <begin quote from erlang mail list:>

I thought the same too, however it was explained to me that several people
spent a long time unwinding the headers.

>From what i guess the problem of chaning the headers like linux does is:

a) you may wish to redefine certain types for odd/masochistic reasons.
b) it slows compile time signifigantly
c) it's a solution for people who don't really know what goes where,
and FreeBSD should encourage good programming practicies.

Basically if you RTFM on functions and read most programming texts
they will explain what to include and where.

Lastly, why not have #include <stdio.h> just suck in the whole include/* ?
doesn't sound too apetizing now does it? :)

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current