Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:59:46 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dhclient not setting IP ...

> I'm connected through cable to the 'Net, and the provider I go
> through, it appears, somehow has it setup that if I change nics, I hvae a
> bugger of a time re-acquiring a lease ...

I presume dhclient is what you use to get your IP address.

I've seen ISPs that record the MAC address of the interface, and won't give
out addresses to any other MAC address but the original one.  They'll expire
that MAC eventually, but perhaps not for 24 hours or a week.

I've also seen ISPs that require the 'host-name' parameter to be set in
dhclient.conf, and if not, won't return any DHCP queries at all.  I doubt
that this is your problem since you're seeing the problem on more than one
machine.

What does dhclient log into /var/log/syslog?  If you see a lot of
DHCPDISCOVER / DHCPREQUEST lines but no DHCPACKs, then your ISP's DHCP
server isn't a) getting your requests or b) responding to them.  In the case
of b), it may be because your MAC address or host-name.

--
Matt Emmerton