Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 20:30:02 -0400
From:      Marcel Mason <marcel@nunanet.com>
To:        "'Free BSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   panic: unknown/reserved trap

I have a Compaq Presario 510 computer system with
20 Mb RAM, a 258 Mb IDE hard-drive & ATAPI CD-ROM
(setup as a slave) using IRQ 14, I/O address 0x01F0
that I need to get FreeBSD running on in order to
take a distance ed. unix course.

I have tried to install FreeBSD ver 2.1 but repeatedly
get the following message after running the install
command from the D:> prompt (which is the CD-ROM
drive) and after the system is probed:

rootfs is 1000 Kbyte compiled in MFS
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf017d94c
code segment        = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                    = DLP 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process     = 1 (sysinstall)
interrupt mask      =
panic: unknown/reserved trap

syncing disks... 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 giving up
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press any key on the consule to abort

I am assuming since the "1's" represent 20 attempts to sync the
disks before FreeBSD gives up as they appear one after the other
as opposed to all at once.

This machine has the hidden diagnostic partition that Compaq
puts on all their hard-drives, is the root of my problem?

Thank you,

Marcel