Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 07:54:25 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How To Set Passive FTP Port Range?

I'm using the ftp daemon that ships with FBSD.  From the man page, I
see that it uses ports 49152-65535 by default for passive ftp.  So to
allow passive ftp, I have open this port range on my firewall.

I suspect there is a way to further limit this port range.  My
questions are:

1. Can I further limit the port range?

2. Is there any significant security advantage by doing so?

3. Are there any disadvantages from limiting the port range further?

My particular system is just a small home system and will only have a
very small number (like 10 or less) of ftp users at any given time.

Any insight or links to appropriate documents appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew