Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 11:34:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVS setup used at FreeBSD?

Gentlemen;
  I am looking at different available version/release control systems for
a project that I am working on. I have never used source control, but am
aware of the concept and such.
  I started out with simple RCS; then a month ago I tried a simple instal
of CVS on my home system. This weekend I am reading O'Reilly's "RSC &
SCCS" which presents TCCS.
  Back to CVS. Since you folks use that to maintain control over multiple
branch, distributed development systems; I thought seeing the way the
control files are set up would give me a chance to to evaluate the
complexity of managing CVS.
  My immediate environment is a distributed class interface library.
There are 7 developers, 120+ objects (1/directory), 8 capability builds
before delivery of release 1.0 on the first of 6 different platforms.
  My questions have to do with the following:
    > definition of 'modules' that cross directories.
    > creation of developer work areas for safe private work.
    > makefile philosophy that works is the workarea, beta area and
       production.
    > release tagging and control.
 Any help (examples from FreeBSD) would be appreciated.

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |