Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 15:38:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        dg@root.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directories not VMIO cached at all!

>     I see an advantage both ways.  Not only are we able to use the VM cache
>     to cache directories ( and thus scale directory operations to memory ),
>     but I don't think there is even a downside to mapping whole pages even for
>     small directories.  The reason is simple:  When you access small
>     directories you tend to access specific files in said directories.  When
>     you access specific files, there's a good chance they will be in the namei
>     cache.  If they are in the namei cache, the VMIO mapping will not be
>     referenced very often for most small directories which means that the
>     VM cache will throw it away.  Hence, no waste.

I cannot believe that you said that:
	The size of the cache buffers are then up to 8X larger when using
	a whole page instead of a 512byte buffer.  BTW, VMIO is a misnomer,
	and I named it...  VMIO was an earlier incarnation, and some of
	it spilled into the existant code.

	Again, do a study to find out if the internal fragmentation makes
	things worse.  Don't depend on the VM code to just "throw" things
	away -- if you can make considered decisions instead of deferring
	them to a policy somewhere, make the decision...

John