Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:30:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jbaldwin@freedomnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help!  I fried my disk label...

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to ask this, but at the moment I can't get
out much.  Here is my situation:  On my second hard drive (wd1) I have
two partitions: one for NT and one for FreeBSD.  Today, I added a new
hard drive to my system, and as a result, I am now converting the NT
partition to another BSD partition.  So, I booted BSD and pulled up
/stand/sysinstall.  I used Configure|Fdisk to delete the NT partition and
create a BSD one in its place.  Then I ran the disk label editor.  Since
the label editor had my current mountpoints as question marks and not
their current status, I thought that I should fix those. Well, when
I committed the changes, it panic'd and rebooted when it tried to run
disklabel on the then-mounted root partition (wd1s2a).  Well, when I
tried to boot BSD again, it said that it couldn't read the root
partition.  I booted the system with a 2.2.2 floppy and used the fixit
option with the 2nd CD.  I have successfully mounted my old root
partition in the shell and fsck'ed.  I have also fsck'd my old /usr and
/var partitions and everything is Ok.  I did lose two files on my root
partition (they were unreferenced) but both kernel and kernel.GENERIC are
still ok on the root partition.  I'm running 2.2.7-stable from about
August 10th, btw.  What can I do to get the bootloader to recognize my
old root partition on wd1s2a so that I can boot?  Please mail me directly
at this address since I'm not reading the questions list.  Thanks for any
and all help.

John Baldwin
jbaldwin@richmond.freedomnet.com