Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:08:16 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Saving kernel changes with kget (3.4-R)

-questions,

I did a 3.4-RELEASE install for a friend yesterday, who has an SB16
Vibra16X soundcard.

After configuring a kernel with the pcm device, and rebooting, you have
to "boot -c", and, per the pcm(4) manual page, enter

    pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 3

before booting.  If you don't do that, the boot probe says

    This is XXX but LDN Y is disabled

exactly as described in pcm(4).  After doing this, audio works, MP3 files
can be played, and so on.

The problem is, how do I make this change permanent?

Back in the 2.x days this happened automatically as part of /etc/rc.

In 3.4 /etc/rc now says:

    # snapshot any kernel -c changes back to disk here <someday>
    # this has changed with ELF and /kernel.config.

but doesn't actually do anything about it.

Some digging turned up kget(8), which, when run, digs out the above
configuration information.  The man page for kget implies that

    kget /boot/kernel.conf

should be enough, and running that command does create a /boot/kernel.conf
with the configuration line (and a "q" on its own line) as expected.

However, this file does not seem to be run at start up.  After doing the
above, and rebooting, we get the

    This is XXX but LDN Y is disabled

message at boot up, indicating that the "pnp" line has not been run.

I confess I don't follow the stuff in /boot much, Forth gives me a headache.
However, I did see that in /boot/defaults/loader.conf, "/boot/kernel.conf"
is the file to load if userconfig_script_load="YES" (although this file
sets it to "NO"), but that variable is set in /boot/loader.conf, so I'd
expected it to work.

I suppose I can ignore all this, and blindly add

    load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf

to /boot/loader.rc, but I'm concerned that I'm missing something that should
be working.

Any pointers?