Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:10:35 -0500
From:      Tony Wells <tony@camel.kdsi.net>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Hardware

I only have two real rules when building a server:  (Not counting
installing FreeBSD as the OS)

1) Get a lot of RAM if you can afford it.  It's just the greatest stuff
there is.  If it takes 500 bucks extra to get the latest CPU, get a
slightly slower one and spend the money on RAM.

2) SCSI drives are in my book mandatory for a server.  10,000 RPM drives
are nice.  Don't skimp on your drives for that sexy Intel Unobtainium.

I used to worry about servers being fast.  Then I had to administrate
them and I decided that being reliable was a better ethic to adopt.  To
that end you might want to invest in a hardware RAID, either internal or
external.

Okay, I guess maybe that last paragraph might be a rule too.