Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:56:25 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        nathan@corp.wac.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: notebook/laptop

> From: <nathan@corp.wac.com>
> Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:11:12 -0800
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>

>  freebsd-mobile,
>
>    hi everyone, im about to purchase a laptop and would like to know if
> anyone has any links, input, or
>  ideas of what to get. i've seen a couple of websites with some reviews and
> have read up one the PAO site
>  for release info and supported hardware. but im still hanging on the
> question "what is the best for the money, and
>  what will give me less hassle for the money?". if you have any ideas or
> information for me to research on that'd
>  be great. thanks for the information/help in advance!

FWIW, I am very happy with IBM ThinkPads. They run FreeBSD quite
well. Everything works on my old 600E, including the sound and
internal modem. Everything configure smoothly and the APM works
extremely well with no need for special code to control fans and the
like.

One drawback for may is the mouse button. I love it, but my wife only
runs with an external mouse on her system. (Dells also use
trackpoints.)

Biggest win: IBM makes the best keyboard you can get on a laptop! Full
sized with excellent touch.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)