Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:17:19 +0100
From:      "Dan Cuthbert" <daniel.cuthbert@uk.psi.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dualhead setup

Blooody hell do you have enough spec there? :=)
okay hardware wise its gonna run really fast! and i mean that!

what you need to do is get the machine (do you have it yet?) once its at
your work install the OS BUT!!!!!! do not install the Xserver during the
installation

once the machine is up and running and you have gone through the dmesg to
see that the two cards have been picked up by the kernel, then we can
start...

now you will need a uptodate ports tree, easiest way is download the tarball
from ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports.tar.gz
save this into your /usr directory and untar it, but beware it takes a
while!
then...

log in as root and goto /usr/ports/x11-server/XFree86-4-Server   (i think
thats the correct name, but double check)
and issue the command

make install

again this is gonna take a while!

once thats finished, if you want you can reboot the server
once its backup , log in as root, make sure that your monitors are attached
the the cards and that you have all the info about the monitors handy (ie
model name, number horizontal and vertical refresh rates! very important the
last two ones!)
then on the command line issue the command

xf86cfg

after a while it should bring up both screens with a nifty little screen in
the topleft hand corner
Here you will need to make sure that one card is attached to one monitor
(this should already be done)
if you right click on the card\monitor\keyboard\mouse you can fill the
necessary details in..

Once your happy, click on the quit button and say yes to the directory where
it wants to save it
okay were nearly there...
then goto /root and you need to issue this command

cp /root/XF86config.new /etc/X11

then hold your fingers and type  startx

if it works, great, if not send me the log file thats in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log and ill see whats up

Dan

Dan Cuthbert
European Hosting Research & Engineering
PSINet Datacentres