Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:24:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        jdw@wwwi.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> Nothing will happen if nobody makes it happen.  FreeBSD has to go
> somewhere, and 2.2 is where.  The people that are doing the going are
> headed that way, so if -stable is to continue at all, it needs someone
> else to look out for it.

I think I would prefer to see effort spent to get -current into reasonable
shape and then go through the release process.

It seems to me that we have a situation here not unlike one which has
already happened in the past:

FreeBSD 1.1.5.1R was released largely as a cleanup release to 1.1R, legal
reasons set aside for the time being.  By that time, FreeBSD-current had
already moved well along the way to 2.0R.  That was a big project, and
(no disrespect meant to anyone because it was an INCREDIBLE feat!)
eventually a very rough at the edges 2.0R went out the door.  The
important point is that a line was drawn in the sand and something was
pushed out the door.

Now my understanding is that -current work split off sometime around
2.0.5R, which means that we have been through three releases of this
same "-stable" branch.  There is, in my opinion, some good to that, but
there is also an ever widening divergence of -current and -stable.

As a matter of fact, -stable has all but been orphaned now, just as
1.1.5.1R was left behind at a certain point.

So... I would rather see a 2.2R that was, perhaps, a bit rough at the
edges (like 2.0R) sooner rather than later.  That's the best way to get
exposure.  It's also one way to get something out the door.

If need be, make it clear to people that 2.1.5R may be a more suitable
choice for the sake of stability, and follow up with a 2.2.5R cleanup
release to handle the problems discovered in 2.2R.

At some point, the line has to be drawn.

I am curious to know if -core has an opinion on where the line should
be (or maybe even has been) drawn.

... JG