Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:48:32 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Mark B. Withers" <mwithers@one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: resizing partitions

On Sunday, 21 January 2001 at 16:15:53 -0500, Mark B. Withers wrote:
> Hey folks!
>
> Is there a way to non-destructively resize partitions in FreeBSD?

Yes.

> When I was a Linux user, there was a program called fips, but I'm
> not sure that it will work with a "dangerously-dedicated" FreeBSD
> machine.

FIPS is a Microsoft domain program for resizing Microsoft file
systems.  It won't work with FreeBSD, or Linux for that matter.

The correct tool on a dedicated system is disklabel(8).  You can
increase the size of a partition without problems, but you can't
shrink or move a file system partition without destroying the data.
If you increase the size of a file system partition, you then need to
run growfs (currently available only in -CURRENT).  Play with it at
your peril.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.