Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:54:37 GMT
From:      Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   client/server networking stability after upgrade

Hi All,

I write this in the hope that my situation might spark ideas from
networking savvy readers.

I have been involved with two opensource projects (afbackup and apcupsd)=

and have had both running flawlessly under 4.2-RELEASE+advisories.

Since source-upgrading to 4.3-RELENG_4_3 these two projects fail to
perform their networking functions correctly e.g. broken pipes, protocol=

breakage etc.

To confuse matters further, the 40 ports that I have installed on this
system have been rebuilt under 4.3 and work as-well-as-ever. These ports=

include apache, mysql and samba so I'd say networking is being tested.

I see from the 4.3 release notes that some changes were made to TCP
functionality. Can someone knowledgeable in this area suggest whether
any of these changes might lead to application breakage?

The authors of both packages assure me that only vanilla networking call=
are used. I have rebuilt both projects since upgrading to 4.3 so it's
not a case of binary compatibility problems.

The only other thing that I can add is that I run with TCP_EXTENSIONS
enabled at boot. I did this under 4.2 also and never experienced any ill=

effects on my system.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,
Neil Darlow.