Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:59:03 +0000
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB keyboard rollover problem

Since my old Vaio laptop has a broken key, I decided to get a USB keyboard
for it. I have been using a USB mouse successfully for a while.

However I have a problem with keyboard rollover, meaning I get duplicate
characters when typing quickly. Example:

  Depress "a"          -- a
  Depress "b"          -- b
  Release "a"
  Depress "c"          -- cb

So typing "questions" quickly tends to say "questioins". I am having to type
this very gingerly and still doing lots of backspaces!

My question is: is this something I can tweak in FreeBSD? (I can't see
anything under kbdcontrol). Is it a bug in FreeBSD? Or have I just bought a
useless keyboard?

System information:
- Sony Vaio PCG-C1F
- FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE
- Packard Bell PB-KB400 USB "Night glow" keyboard (I didn't want the glow
  but it was the only small USB keyboard in stock locally :-)

Feb 20 13:38:14 vaio /kernel: ukbd0:   USB Multimedia Keyboard , rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/1
Feb 20 13:38:14 vaio /kernel: kbd1 at ukbd0
Feb 20 13:38:14 vaio /kernel: uhid0:   USB Multimedia Keyboard , rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/1

- After inserting the keyboard, I enable it using

#!/bin/sh
kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 </dev/console
kbdcontrol -l /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/uk.cp850.kbd

(it would be nice if both keyboards would work together, as my external
mouse and internal pointing device do, but I can live with that)

Any helpl much apprerciataed, plelase copy me direcetlyl on any repely!

Regarads,

Brian Candlere.