Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:11:49 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        daniel quinn <freebsd@danielquinn.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: live/install cd?

--------------enig62A44596790DB789967E6F05

daniel quinn wrote:
> i've been asked by my company to put together a basic cd that can install a
> basic freebsd5 system just by putting in the disc and turning it on.  it'd
> have to have a base number of packages and be configured for networking etc
> at bootup etc.

This can be done by modifying one of the standard install disks, so that
you provide a config file for sysinstall(8) plus some local packages to
modify files in /etc -- ie. create user accounts, add settings to
rc.conf and so forth.

See sysinstall(8) for instructions on how to setup the config file,
particularly the section on LOAD_CONFIG_FILE.

Also look at:

     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/index.html

Which, apart from the detail of booting over a network, rather from a CD
basically explains how to do most of what you want.

You can even build your own custom release CDs with any local
modifications you require.  Documentation of how 'make release' works is in:

     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/index.html

And for a method of doing the job that might be slightly more familiar
to you as a Gentoo user, this article may prove enlightening:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/fbsd-from-scratch/index.html

	Cheers,

         Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd