Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:29:41 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XFree86 and i810

I know the i810 is a known problem in FreeBSD while running XFree86
4.0.2 or greater, and I've seen complaints on the mailing list.

The trouble, as far as I can tell, is that the i810 driver doesn't
deallocate GART resources when switching consoles, and upon switching
back to the X console, there is no memory the xserver can use to
display. The server crashes, and if it is restarted, it still fails to
deallocate resources, causing garbled video.

Looking at driver code, I see the deallocation code is commented out,
which leads me to believe that the linux agpgart driver automatically
deallocates resources when not in use. This leads me to three questions:

1) Is it possible to make the agpgart-handling code in FreeBSD
deallocate unused resources automatically, so that XFree86 will work
as-is?

2) Can somebody implement a patch for XFree86 to deallocate GART
resources when not in use? I looked at the driver, and there is more to
learn about XFree86's structure than i have time for.

3) Is my analysis of the problem accurate? If not, has anybody found the
cause of our woes?
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx