Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:38:06 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD security auditing project.

At 9:05 PM +0200 1999/11/23, Mark Murray wrote:

> I have been charged with the duty of ensuring that FreeBSD gets a
> security audit that has the credibility of OpenBSD's.

	You're just bound-and-determined to get me permanently drooling,
aren't you?  ;-)

	Seriously, I do not envy you the job that you have been charged
with, but I do wish you all the luck you could possibly receive, and
more.

	Never in a million years did I think I would see the day when
either FreeBSD and OpenBSD would converge, or that FreeBSD would
start seriously working towards the same kind of serious security
posture that, until now, OpenBSD has pretty much owned outright.

	I don't know how long it's going to take you folks to get there,
but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I can't hold off switching some
machines to OpenBSD and to instead do my best to secure them under
FreeBSD, and avoid the platform split that would otherwise result
(and have to be healed later, once the security audit was complete on
FreeBSD).

	Thanks so much!

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.